Oct 11, 2020

My physically and social distanced, global pandemic, solo, virtual 2020 Chicago Marathon

I wanted to capture my 2020 virtual Chicago Marathon experience when it was fresh on my mind. Due to COVID-19, the 2020 Chicago Marathon was cancelled. I had run the Chicago Marathon for the past 8 years since 2012 and I was eagerly looking forward to the 9th one, but 2020 had other plans. 

Chicago Marathon is one of the six world marathon major races. Others are Boston, New York, London, Berlin and Tokyo. I consider it a privilege and a great honor to live and run in this race for so many years. The Chicago Marathon is usually the second Sunday of October in the beautiful fall weather which attracts around 40,000 runners from around the world. There are usually over 1.5 million spectators packing the streets of the city and the race runs through 29 neighborhoods. You can feel the diversity and the various cultures as you float through it.

"Ah, the sun is finally out!"


It's 3:45 am and I was ready to hit the road
Things that were the same this year:
  • The nostalgic feeling leading up to the weekend.
  • The pre-race meal and race prep.
  • The distance. Yes, it was 26.2 even in the virtual edition! :) 

Things that were NOT the same this year:
  • No marathon expo. This was a tradition.
  • No bathroom lines before the race start.
  • Nobody on the streets.
  • No start line.
  • No thousands of runners to weave around.
  • No gatorade.
  • No medal at the finish line.
  • No 312 beer or the nutrition from Marianos at the finish line. 
  • Oh yeah, did I mention, there was no finish line.



Dark and peaceful at 4:30 am
Purple lighting at this house

So, I signed up to run the 2020 Chicago Marathon virtual edition. 

What is a virtual race? You run the marathon distance of 26.2 at once anywhere on the planet and upload the proof of your run to the race website. I wanted to do my 9th Chicago Marathon, just to experience this run. I am sure I will remember this for a long time.

I did not train for the race at all. I ran a virtual 2000k this summer and was somewhat burned out. I was running very low mileage leading up to the race weekend. 

Yes, trying to take a selfie without
my headlight botching it.

This will be my second solo self-supported marathon distance this year. I ran the previous one during the July 4th weekend. That was a hot one in July. This one was much more pleasant.

I couldn't sleep the previous night. Woke up at 3:00 am, was ready to run by 3:45 am to head out. It was dark, calm and pleasant to run at the wee hours.

My plan was to run a half-marathon distance (13.1 miles) like a big loop in my neighborhood and stop for a quick sip of water and run another 13.1 loop to complete the 26.2 marathon distance. So, I did not carry water or any nutrition with me. I was not sure if I was being dumb or just winging it. 



Picking up some speed around mile-10

When my GPS watch hit 13.1 miles, I just felt good and kept running. I didn't get the sip of water until mile-20. I was keeping up good pace, enjoyed running in the early morning darkness with no one in the streets. The weather was surprisingly warm but the wind felt good. 

It felt good when the sun came out. It was a beautiful sunrise. I did a few snapchats to check-in with family at some major milestones like 10k, half marathon, 20 miles and at the end mile 26.2. 

Yes, I had red blinking backlights
along with headlamps and reflector vest
Halloween season is upon us


No one is out here

Fall colors
Halloween season: this house had elaborate decorations

My friend Jung came out to run a few with me,
we ran miles-21 to 24 together

I had 2 goals: to have fun and to finish within five hours. Both goals accomplished. This was by far the best race experience I had. 

When I finished the entire marathon distance, I really felt very good.

And that's a wrap up of the 2020 Chicago Marathon!

Finally done!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Going Infinite By Michael Lewis - SBF/FTX

The author, Michael Lewis, had the front row seat of how SBF, FTX and Alameda Research came about and how it all went down.  This book is li...